Thursday, December 24, 2009

Best came




Today it is Christmas and I am at home with my favourite people. We have had a lovely quiet day. The day is warm and sunny. Ken Oath! is cooking a divine meal wearing his new apron, TheShortFolk have picked roses and are now shelling peas. I'm on beautifying duty.

When I was collecting donations for Stash reHash a lovely elderly lady quite unsettled me. We chatted for about an hour about all sorts of things. Then she hauled a tablecloth out of her bag of donated goods and said, "This is not for the market. This is for you. Never save things for best dear, because best might never come." It was a tablecloth she had made and embroidered in the 1940s before she was married. She had "saved it for best" but had never used it.

Well today best came. That tablecloth (and two others!) is on my Christmas dinner table because I can't imagine it gets better than this. Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. That's a lovely story Deidre. I've stopped saving mine for best too, as I decided that the marks from use will define the life of the cloths etc. I had my mam's tablecloth out on our table yesterday.

    Hope you had a fabulous day- we did!

    All the best, Anne

    ReplyDelete